Monday, April 14, 2008

Rain at Last


Last night we had 8mm of rain, not nearly enough, but surely a start, has been a long, dry, summer. We now need substantial rain for the farmers as their stock are very short on feed, with the winter coming along.
Have finished spreading pea straw mulch on the garden, have never used it before, but as I have a back problem and my mobility is limited I think it will help me keep the weeds under control. It certainly looks very tidy now, until the blackbirds and thrushes get into it of course! We have bought a grass rake in anticipation.
The tomatoes are almost finished in the glasshouse, and the outside ones of course, so have planted some heirloom lettuce seed to grow in there during the winter.

I have posted this photo, have had the plant for several years, having bought it at a market day, never knew what it was called, but just lately have seen it in several magazines and books, Rudbeckia Herbstonne. A lovely yellow, grows very tall thought, and the wind does knock it around, have it now in several places, and just love the colour.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it must be a relief to have some rain.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jean, just had a little stroll through your garden. The Rudbeckia grow in my garden too they are very tough and I love their colours. We had a lot of rain now which is good because we had very dry times too. Your Garden quilt looks exquisite, it must have been a lot of work. I used to do a lot of cross stitch, so I can appreciate the work behind hand crafts.