Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Straw Garden



At long last all of the garden has its pea straw blanket on for the winter.
I have never used it before, but needs must where needs want, and as I have a quite severe back problem am hoping that this will make things easier for us. I have never liked the look, but have to admit now it is finished everything looks all tidy, until it blows a gale of course, or the birds think it is a good place to scratch. At the moment, Mungo, our ginger tom thinks anywhere on the straw in the sun is especially for him. However the forecast is for snow showers, so no doubt he will find it preferable in front of the log fire.
I have been breaking up my epimediums, never done it before but am looking forward to having quite a few clumps around. Only have the pink, but my friend only has the yellow, so a swap should be in order.
Went to the local Horticultural Club meeting, where one of our members spoke to us about his chrysanthemums which he has been growing for 30 years, Very interesting the the National Show is this weekend in Timaru, so think I may go along. Always nice to learn about something different.

Went to the local Travel Club monthly meeting this morning and heard a local person speak on her time living and working in Libya, very interesting and somewhere not many people get to go to.

No comments: