Monday, September 15, 2008

Days are getting warmer




Had a lovely day in the garden today, finding it a lot easier to deal with now we have put the pea straw down....don't particularly like the look of it, but enables me to spray the weeds as they appear and then I just have to weed close to the plants by hand. Much better on the old back.
I think I said in a previous post in the autumn that I planted my tulips and my hyacinths in pots and then placed them around the garden as they came into flower in the spring. Well that is working well as I'm sure you will notice in the photos. The hyacinths are just wonderful, the perfume just awesome as you pass them.
The first flowering cherry, Awanui, is just coming out, and the honey bees did not take long to find it. Hope they find the Yellow plum and the greegage as well, as we are hoping for a good crop this year. The fruiting cherries have nice fat buds on them, and the apricot has just finished flowering so watching out for a frost and will have to rush out and cover it.
I had a friend give to me, 4 supermarket shopping bags full of assorted daffodil bulbs that she took out in the autumn. They are all sprouting, and should nhave been in the ground a long time ago, but am sure some of them will survive late planting and will flower next year.

No comments: