Saturday, September 27, 2008

Our changeable spring weather


Friday we had 28C and Saturday snow right down on the hills around us and today again the most beautiful mild day with blue sky all day. There was a slight frost this morning so got up early and put sheets of newspaper over the apricot which is just setting its fruit for the first year. Did the same with the tomatoes, even though they are in the glasshouse, but it is unheated.
Spent all day out there pottering, and doing a lot of little jobs that needed doing.
Cleaned out the fish pond, and found 2 goldfish that had not shown themselves all winter, do they hibernate does anyone know? this is our first experience with goldfish.
Completed planting around the pool with astibles, hostas,small kniphofia, Little Maid,and broke up my pink Dierama, and put some to hang over the water. Hopefully I should get a pleasing result.
Pricked out some lettuce seedlings I had grown, both heirloom types that did well for us last year, Drunken Woman and Four Seasons.
The image I am putting here is a little wood anemone and a small primula, I thought they looked very good together.

1 comment:

Katarina said...

From 28 degrees to snowy weather - that's unusual, isn't it? I hope your Apricot will be alright!
Katarina
PS I think your header photo is just great!